Monday, December 2, 2013

Confessions of a NaNoWriMo Junkie

Hi. My name is Bob Nailor and I'm a NaNoWriMo junkie.

I have done this thirteen of the last fourteen years. I have finished successfully the last twelve years.  Would that be considered bragging?  Each and every December I claim I won't be doing it next year and then, well, when the NaNoWriMo season hits, I straddle the fence (which by the way is very uncomfortable) until I finally cave and join in writing frenzy.

BUT, this year was different.  This year I started and I wrote with no planned intention of finishing.

WHY?  Simple. I had many things on my plate, both writing and health so I just knew it wasn't going to be one of those years I would complete.  My mindset was established and I wrote when I could. There was no pressure, no panic, no concern.  If I did my word count, good, and if not, no worry.

I worked on and off with my WIP - The Treasure Within - putting text to the cyber paper.  I really wasn't keep track.  Oh, sure the first couple of days I went onto NaNoWriMo's website and put in some word count and then well, I just didn't bother.  Again, my mindset was simple -- Don't waste your time on NaNo, you're not going to complete so why compete.

So when I thought I had a few minutes, I would open the project and I'd write.  I found the story exciting and fun and I happily typed along.  I didn't pay any attention to word count.  Why should I?  I totally ignored NaNoWriMo.  I didn't attend any of the meetings. I didn't get involved in the drama of any of the online topics and discussions. Yes, I basically ignored that www.nanowrimo.org even existed.

I continued to write.  And write.  And write.  I was scheduled for cataract surgery on 11/27 and for all practical purposes, was basically blind in the right eye and a small cataract on the left eye.  For me to read my screen, I had to use a 6" magnifying glass or set the font to some ridiculously large size which only allowed about 30 words on the screen at any given moment.  So I kept the font regular sized (small) and just typed away with horrendous typing errors slipping in constantly.

The book would have to be edited, I could correct spelling at that time since I wouldn't be doing that until after New Years anyway and my eye surgery would be over and I would be able to see again.  Surprising how having just the right eye back to great vision has allowed me to see again without too much trouble.  Oh, and those typing errors are worse than horrendous.

Back to the issue at hand. On November 29, in the wee hours, I noticed the word count of the story...almost 44k.  I had all of 11/29 and 11/30 -- less than 48 hrs to complete the 50k required.

HUH?

NaNoWriMo fever kicked in.  I was so close I could taste the finish line and I knew 6k in two days wouldn't be that difficult.  Obviously not since I'd been writing all month and not really keeping track of date and-or word count.  I was going for it.

Before the midnight hour of 11/29, I had the word count to say I'd finished NaNoWriMo.  The story isn't finished but the word count was over 50k.  I verified my words at NaNoWriMo and for the twelfth consecutive time, completed and succeeded in finishing the task.  Surprisingly, this year, I won't be deleting the last 15k words as trash writing.  Okay, the last 6k might be gamey, at best, still, it is a lot better than many of my previous years writing.  I remember one year deleting almost 30k when I finished only because the story took a turn I didn't like, the writing was atrocious and well, it was crappy.

To view the 1st chapter of my entry this year.

So, now, here I sit, once more an addict, wondering why I did it.

Hi, my name is Bob Nailor and I'm a NaNoWriMo junkie.

Until next I ramble on...

3 comments:

  1. Not being a writer, I enjoy observing them. Indeed there seems to be an addiction involved. When deep into their bondage, I have noticed a definite shifty eyed response when they are asked questions such as, are you eating lunch or don't you think it is time to sleep? When you finally get their attention, an addicted writer isn't really with you but in some imaginary place with people who are obviously more interesting than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know why you finished? Because you have a passion for writing. Even with all that you had going on, you must know and recognize that this very act of putting words to paper makes you happy and it's like breathing to you. WTG - fantastic job and finish - really super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete