Monday, March 30, 2015

Life Update

A friend sent me an email asking how my resolutions have been coming along since we are now about 25% of the way through the year.

Let's start with the worst case.  Weight loss.  I was thrilled when I found my weight down to 252 lbs and decided to push forward with an aggressive attack to really melt those pounds off.  Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way and I wasn't tracking my intake as well as I should have. Lent started and around here that means fish fries.  Yup, the deep-fried fish - all you can eat - type dinners with all the trimmings which include scalloped potatoes, coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, and of course, battered deep fried fish.  Oh, and of course, diet pop to wash it all down.

A couple from church told us about a buffet in a nearby town that included seafood. Yes, we had to check it out.  It was a night of protein gorging.  I had fabulous crab legs which I dipped in hot melted butter, frog legs, deep fried shrimp, boil shrimp, huge crab cakes, battered deep fried fish, broiled fish, and steak.  Again, it was all-you-can-eat and I made sure I ate a lot.  I skipped over the mashed potatoes, French fries, baked potato, buttered corn, mixed veggies and the salad bar.  Fortunately, it was only one night seafood gorging.

My youngest son's wife is expecting twins and we've needed to travel up to Michigan which threw us off our regular eating habits in favor of fast food or carryout.  In fact, we are down to the wire on delivery and my wife is staying with them in Michigan and I'm bouncing back and forth to take care of the dog and keep the rest of house under control.  It is Spring and the critters are coming out.

So, what was has the verdict been on my weight?  How many pounds have I lost?  ZILCH!  I gained.

That's right, I've gained over 10 lbs and am now attempting to place that spiral on hold and get the weight going the other way.  Another friend suggested I do portion control, eat more fruit and veggies and lay off the fast food and fried foods. I can try but when you're on the road, traveling, fast food seems to be the way of the road. One doesn't normally stop at a restaurant when making a dashing trip. I guess I can cut up some celery for the road.

Moving on, publishing books.  I have been a little side-tracked with clients and doing some editing. Still, I now have less than 10 pages of final edits to go and my next book will be done and ready for publishing.  Yes, that's right. With a little luck if I can get the cover completed in another week, I should have my novel - The Secret Voice - ready for publication.  Two weeks top.  So that means one book of three done.

Now, looking at my goals and where I stand, I figure 3 books equals 1 every 4 months.  I'm on target with my publishing goal.  My hope to lose 25 pounds would be about 2 pounds each month for for 3 months, I should be down 6 pounds.  Hmm?  I'm up 12.  So I'm behind about 18 pounds. Not good.

In my favor, Summer is coming and I'll be outside more.  My wife has a goal of camping every week for 3 to 4 day from May through October IF the week will be good weather.  I jokingly asked her if it was forecast to rain, we wouldn't go camping.  Her reply: We on Monday morning and come back on Friday morning - 4 nights. IF one of those days/nights could rain - we can enjoy it.

That means, if the weatherman says we got at least 2 days of foul weather in the week, we will stay home that week.  Actually, I'm sort of looking forward to it.  We usually stay at the nearby state park and during the week, it isn't all that crowded.  Come Friday, the campers come wheeling in and it becomes a veritable madhouse.  I prefer the quiet weekdays.

I've got most of my garden planned for 2015 and already have the tomato seeds started finally. Right now I have 4 seeds of each: Beefsteak, Rutgers, Roma, and Mortgage Lifter.  Will I plant all 16 plants when they come up.  I doubt it.  I'll give a few of them away to my kids... or I may keep them. I can honestly say the stewed tomatoes, tomato juice and - OMG! - the salsa my wife canned last year was fantastic.  The salsa - well, there is only 1 qt left and I'll probably eat it this week sometime.  I'm also considering, in addition to the raised 4x15 ft bed, will be trying bale gardening.  That's using bales of straw to plant things in. It could be interesting.  We'll see if the crocus come up over the next few weeks of where I want to put the bales.  If not, then I will do the bales.  If they do come up, then I will have to evaluate the situation.  Last year's show of crocus was pretty pathetic.

At the present time, no chickens.  Waiting for the twins to be born. Maybe later or next year.

Until next I ramble on...

No comments:

Post a Comment