Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Bob, The Speaker

I don't know if I have ever mentioned the fact I enjoy doing speaking engagements. I mean, if you want me to come speak about some writing aspect or about one of my books, just ask and I will attempt to be there if financially feasible.

I started doing sessions for a small writing conference many years ago.  I wasn't sure the first time I stood up there but by the time the session was over, I was having a blast and my audience was too. I received an email from the mother of the youngest conference attendee, a thirteen year old girl.  She sent a wonderful thank you and how much her daughter enjoyed my session and felt she had learned.  I was humbled.

Since then I've several more conferences and workshops.  I even taught a seven week adult writing course at a local college.

Then it stopped.  Most of it, anyway.

It was like I dropped off the face of the earth.  I hadn't.  In reality, I'd pulled back to my rural roots and was living quietly in small-town America.  I was out of the hub-bub activity.  I did a small presentation for a local club.  For all practical purposes, as a speaker, I was dead.

Then I was asked to do a presentation for a small workshop and I agreed.  The workshop was cancelled at the last moment and I was very upset.  For me, the excitement, the memory of past conferences, rushed through my veins.  I wanted to speak, to present, to once more be the guy in the front which held the audience hanging on his every word.  It was then I decided to move forward... but I needed a plan.

A book release was the key.  It opened a few doors where I was interviewed on a few blogs and even got a chance to talk at a few writer chat rooms.  I was moving forward.

I just finished a blog talk radio presentation for Author's Corner and will be doing a presentation this coming fall for a one-day workshop.  I'm getting psyched.  I've tossed my hat into the ring for a couple of other conferences and I am now getting a few more interviews set up.

So, to help me in this endeavor, I am currently finalizing the cleanup of An Amish Voice for an agent and hopefully he will find a publisher and I will see the release of another book soon.  Of course, that would open more possibilities for me to do speaking engagements.

I can talk about almost any aspect of writing and I can definitely contour my current sessions to your needs.  If you're curious about what sessions I can provide, a small sampling is available at my website.  Check me out at http://www.bobnailor.com -- Click on The Speaker and when that page comes up, click on Sessions.

Until next I ramble on...


No comments:

Post a Comment