Monday, January 27, 2014

It's Called Love

My wife and I raised four wonderful sons.  Part of the reward back is the honor of eight grandchildren, so far: 2 grandsons, 6 granddaughters.

But this isn't what the rambling is about today.  Instead, I am looking back at an interesting tidbit.

I bought a clarinet and a saxophone for two of the boys as they progressed through school. The boys grew up, moved out and in a matter of time, sold the instruments.  Hmm?  Did I see any of that cash?

My wife and I bought new furniture and was about to sell the old living room suite at a garage sale when one of the boys decided that it would look good in their apartment.  So we didn't sell it and he took it.  Eight months later he received a bonus or something which allowed them to buy new living room furniture. Yup. They sold our old stuff -- uh, no money in my pocket.

The same occurred for an antique set of twin beds that I'd gotten when I was single. AND also for a bedroom suite.  "Inherited" by one of the boys and then shortly (or maybe as long as two years) sold off for cash.

Of course, I should have learned my lesson early on.  My Number 2 son was a great con-artist.  We'd go to the store and he'd want something but 'forgot' his money.  So, we'd buy and he was to pay us when we got home. Normally we'd would forget and trust me, he'd forget to remind us, too.  One time it was a watch. Not expensive but I decided to 'go for the money' since it was more about making him responsible.  I asked him for the cash for the watch.  He gave me a flashing smile and said that I'd have to see Number 1 son since he now had the watch.  Without thinking, I went to Number 1 for the cash.  Oh, I had been tricked.  Yes, Number 1 had the watch but he'd bought it for cash (more than Number 2 paid for it, by the way.) Also, Number 2 felt that since Number 1 had the watch, he also inherited the obligation to pay for it.  Talk about double-dipping.  Number 1 felt he'd been cheated so he got Number 2 to refund the cash and take the watch back.  I wanted my money from Number 2 or he'd have to give up the watch.  Number 2 gazed at the shiny watch on his wrist that he'd purchased elsewhere and handed me the watch in question with the genuine plastic straps. "You can have the watch back."  Hmm?  I'd been beaten at my own game by a 12-year old.  I only can think I learned. Obviously, I hadn't.

What I found interesting.  I had an accordion when I was 10 years old. Yes, I was going to be the next Myron Floren / Lawrence Welk. Yeah, right.  Anyway, years after I'd moved out, my mother finally sold my accordion for a tidy sum.  She also sold my comic books and several other things.  No, I didn't see that money, either. LOL.

It is called LOVE.  As parents we do things for our children and we do it without thinking of a return. We give.  A friend of mine scrimped and saved to make sure his only son had a good college fund and attended medical school.  At first I thought of how unselfish this man was being.  Then he told me -- "I want to make sure that he can take care of me and my wife when we are old."  WOW.  Talk about a guilt trip on the boy.  I made sure my sons had a good childhood but never once did I consider that they would be obligated to take care of me or my wife when we are old -- okay, older than we are now.  I know in my heart, if something would happen to me, my wife will be taken care of by our sons but not out of obligations but out of love.

Still, maybe, just maybe I should mention the $300 I spent on that clarinet. Then again, maybe not, because it's called Love.

Until next I ramble on...

1 comment:

  1. LOL - you're right, it's love. I know I work hard so my kids can have everything they need - though man, I'd be maybe a little steamed if they sold something I was going to sell, but gave to them as a gift! You're a saint, Bob.

    ReplyDelete