Tuesday, February 7, 2012

2012: Timeline Apocalypse

Sometimes you just don't know what to blog about.  Today I decided to blog about my book that I wrote quite a few years ago.  Yes, that's right -- 2012: Timeline Apocalypse.

Stay with me on this entry -- it's worth the read.

I had an idea about the Mayan calendar.  I've been fascinated with the calendar; even to the extent of having a pair of silver cuff links with the Mayan calendar on them that I got when I was in Acaplulco, Mexico way back in 1967. I'd read about Pacal and the discovery of his burial tomb inside the Temple of Inscriptions.  I thought of a museum theft and a detective.  Then I watched Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto" and well, the glue started to gel. 

So I created a myth, a legend about the calendar, the end of time and started to tie all the pieces together.  I read more about the Mayan culture, more about Pacal and Palenque.  I studied the Mayan religion, the Mayan astronomy and the plethora of "end of time" theories. 

I was floored when I discovered the Mayans considered the area around The Pleiades (aka Seven Sisters) as the birthplace of the cosmos and that today's astronomers now confirmed that locale as to where new worlds are being created.  Venus is tied to Kulkukan and that particular god is tied to the creation of the current world.  Even more amazing was the fact the Mayan astronomers knew back then that we, on Dec 21, 2012, would pass through the center of the Milky Way and the median plane of the universe.

Suddenly things fell together.  I stumbled onto a website about tourists visiting the area of Palenque and even more came together including a segment where visitors saw a bird in the early morning sunlight and how it affected them.  It was late September and I was about to embark on the novel when it hit me that NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) was a mere month away to start in November and I had no idea what to write.  Now I did.  So I outlined and I read even more including a fictitious diary of a young Mayan princess of Pacal's time.

November 1.  I was ready and began to bang out the 53k words for NaNoWriMo that would become the novel known as "2012: Timeline Apocalypse."  That was back in 2008.  And the story languished for almost two years and finally in 2010 I realized I either had to get that novel cleaned up and published or forget about it.  I started the cleanup process and was considering self-publishing when I was approached by 23 House.  The editor wanted a crack at it before I self-published.  He read the book, we negotiated a contract and in October 2010, the novel was released to the public.

Sales have been satisfactory but I am wanting to sell more and have decided to make you an offer I hope you can't refuse.

Order a signed copy of the paperback book from www.bobnailor.com/book_2012.php and I will send you a coupon for a FREE ecopy of my novel "Three Steps: The Journeys of Ayrold."

Order a copy of the paperback book from http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982477708 (forward me a copy of the sales receipt to "bob AT bobnailor.com" - get a coupon for a FREE copy, as above.

Order an electronic copy of the book from http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VGO3VU (forward me a copy of the sales receipt to "bob AT bobnailor.com" - get a 50% off coupon of "Three Steps"

This offer is for a limited time only; good until Feb 26, 2012; the coupon is good through Feb 29, 2012.

Now exactly what is the book about?  Obviously it entails the end of time, the Mayan calendar, Mayan gods and enough twists to keep you guessing who is who and what is what and why it is all happening.  Do you actually want me to tell you the end?  Of course not, but I will tell you this. If you saw the movie "2012" -- well, my book ain't nothing like that!!  Let me put it this way -- Kulkukan will shake his tail and the ground will shake. We only think we know what ancient artifacts are; it isn't until we find their true use that all things become clear.

Until next I ramble...


No comments:

Post a Comment